Memorializing a Facebook Page

Did you know that you could memorialize a loved ones Facebook page after they pass away? Unfortunately I had to learn about this 2 weeks ago when my little brother Keith Allen was killed in a motorcycle accident at the young age of 34. It is a sad and tragic story but his life can live on SAFELY through Facebook.

Below is a link to an article about how to request that a Facebook page be memorialized. Before you do this you need to be aware of a couple things that I didn't realize until AFTER the page was put in memorial status.
How to memorialize a Facebook page

  • If you have your loved ones login information you may not need to memorialize the page. If you can login and make changes then you can change/privatize any information you need to.
  • If you are not able to login to the page Facebook will not supply you with the login information even if you are immediate family. (I am actually okay with this right now. I might change my mind in the future.)
  • The person will no longer show up in your "friends" list.
  • You will not be able to "tag" photos. (This is good and bad as we still have friends who have photos they would like to share with us. I asked that they "tag" my mom and dad's pages.
  • Only confirmed friends will be able to search for Keith and find his page.
  • All his "information" and friends list has been deleted from his information page.
  • I did post on his page that I was going to be doing this but I should have posted it in advance of doing it so everyone was prepared. It was a little fast.
  • I sent a link to a newspaper article that confirmed his death. I am also certain that when they viewed his page and saw all the  memorials they new he had passed away.
I recommended that you do this within a month or two of your loved ones death but not right away. You might contact me through this blog before doing this so I can share my experience with you.