|K Word Work|
Here is how this worked:
- Word work seemed like the easiest time to work with them and that I could find apps for.
- Actually there are more apps for practicing your ABCs than word work.
- With the help of my tech specialist I settled on 2 apps to try. ABC Magnets and Magnetic ABC. These two apps allow students to create their own words.
- Starting with a small group is the ONLY way to go. I cannot imagine introducing these to the whole class. During word work of The Daily 5 I worked with 3-4 students for about 10 min. Then pulled 3-4 more students.
- Talked about being careful.
- Students laid their hand flat on the table and I modeled how you would touch the screen by touching the back of their hand. Swiped softly on the back of their hand then a little harder to show you don't have to swipe so hard. Then made the students "swipe" the back of my hand so I could see how they were going to touch the iPods.
- Showed them how to turn them on and off. Push the "home" button then swipe the lock. We practiced that twice. (BTW - I am the only one touching an iPod so far. I was modeling and they could touch mine.)
- Showed the app and how it worked.
- Gave them the iPod and we started together but once they were in the app I helped them individually.