Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sharing Twitter with Non-Tweeters

Have you wanted to share the responses you receive to a twitter question without having to hold your phone up to someones face to show them?

Have you asked a question on twitter, got lots of replies, and then needed to make a paper copy for those who are not familiar with the power of twitter?

Well.... that has happened to me more than once but here is how I shared tweets, with non-tweeters on two occasions.

Question: Do you have an activity fee or charge students to participate in athletics?

I used Skitch on my Mac book and copy and pasted into a "pages" document and then emailed it to my athletic director so he could see how other school around the country afford all the extra-curriculars. (I don't remember how I did this and my Mac is not here so I can really explain in detail. I am going assume if you know how to use Skitch go ahead. If not, read below.)

Today's question: Teachers, are you filtered or unfiltered on the Internet? If not how do you work around?

Step one: I had to use my "work around password" to access the twitter website:):)
Step two: Used the "capture" feature in Jing to outline the tweets I wanted to copy. You can copy one at a time. If you lots of "mentions" in a row you can "capture" a group of tweets at time (Jing is free.)
Step three: Used the "copy" feature to copy to the clipboard
Step four: Pasted it to a publisher document (or you could use word.)
Step five: Squished it all together and printed paper copies to hand out at my meeting.

I let people watch my twitter feed and it is often confusing to them. This way I have narrowed it to specific tweets of interest. Then they can understand that power of twitter.
If you have an easier, better, or another way please share in the comments.