Saturday, July 11, 2009

It's Leadership Day - 2009

"Today is LEADERSHIP DAY 2009. This is a day in which Scott McLeod, a professor at Iowa State University, invites educators to share why and how we use technology in our careers." (Theresa Reagan one of many of my PLN twitter friends.:)

As a self-proclaimed technology advocate I believe that technology is only one piece of really big leadership puzzle. Throughout my technology learning I have probably done a little of a disservice to my teachers. One of the main reasons I began to use technology is to make my life run more efficiently and to help other principals. I have always said that teachers have the teacher right next door that they can go to at a moments notice. A principal on the other hand does not have a next door principal.

The most powerful benefit I found in all the Web 2.0 tools is opening the door wide to your school. If you use these tools to their potential Web. 2.0,1, 3.0 (whatever everyone wants to call it now) it can be like having a window into your child's day at school. There is absolutely no excuse for a parent not to know what is going on in their student's school....if the school is using these tools(or any webbased tool) to their advantage.

The future is today! I no longer have a tolerance for a fear of technology. Our students have figured it out so it's time to buck up!!!